Monday 11 June 2012

Peddling and Paddling

Enjoyed a morning bike ride to town today with Tracey, via the urban network of roads. I was inspired to ride back on the nature trail, believing there to be a few inches of water to get through. Well, nature photographers near Christmas Island must have thought I was nuts when I peddled past them into the water on the flooded trail. It got deeper and deeper until the water was over my front wheel. Large fish were scared out of my way, ducks were fleeing, and my face was taking out spider webs between the tree branches. Debris jammed into my gears and cause the chain to come off. Had to stop, pick my bike up out of the water and put the chain back on. I was thankful for granny gear right then. Otherwise, the water was warm, the sun was shining and I was the first bike through the trail in a week. I arrived home with a real sense of accomplishment, and gratitude for aluminum frame bikes that drain well.

No comments:

Post a Comment